– Sour, of course, they fell too late. He still showed our strength with us, but we wanted to win that match, goal scorer Lena Hurtig says to SVT Sport.
Three minutes before the end of normal time, the United States was punished after Sophia Jacobson was expelled from Kelly O’Hara. However, Jacobson appealed to the judge that the accident happened just outside the penalty area when she went forcefully over O’Hara whose legs became entangled in the Swedish, an incident that started at the penalty area line.
– I try to catch up with henna and end up inside. I think I was trying to break the ball but unfortunately it turned out to be a penalty. I had no idea but she was outside when I saw she was blowing for punishment. I just tried to follow it and the post closed and then folded back, it was hard to see. “It’s very disturbing,” says Jacobson.
Nobody was friends
The incident has not been reviewed by the video assistant referee.
– Your outdoor contact, says SVT sports expert Marcus Johannson.
Megan Rapinoe stepped forward and held him firmly and low to the left. Jennifer Falk threw herself into the right corner and was on the verge of hitting the ball which, however, slid 1-1.
At the end of the first nautical match, Lena Hurtig nodded 1-0 across the far post after a corner kick to the left. And American goalkeeper Alyssa Nahr entered the narrow penalty area.
Rolfo twice had the chance to make it 2-0
Soon after, Fredulina Rulfo headed towards goal but Nahr retaliated by breaking out and cutting the Swedish free corner.
At the start of the second half, Rulfo again had a great opportunity to score 2-0, but he did not get a hit with the ball which was played indirectly inward-backward by Sophia Jacobson after Hurtig’s brilliant pass in the rear. Just over an hour later, Rolfö was replaced for Filippa Angeldal.
Rapinoe was substituted in the second half
Superstar Megan Rapinoe was replaced in the 57th minute and in the end the United States came under heavy pressure on Sweden. It would have been the winning goal after a late draw.
– It’s a little mixed feelings because we were so close to getting over them. But in terms of performance, we do it very well. Sometimes we do it very well and create quality opportunities. We were not far from defeating them, even though they were making their chances. We have to beat them next time, then in a bigger context, says National Team captain Peter Gerhardson and adds that with VAR.
– This is what we got in the tournaments, he says.
The last time the United States did not win against South Korea was in October 2019 when the team played 1-1. Since then, the current world champion has achieved 16 successive victories. The United States’ last lost to France was in January 2019. Since then, the team has played 38 matches without losing.
Sweden will face Poland on Tuesday.